Finally, a site on the Internet where somebody complains about things! Usually the fact that criminal justice majors make me cringe.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The problem with being me

Do you have one of Those Guys at work? You know That Guy? He casually drops an n-bomb into conversation about what's on the radio, or tells President Obama jokes that make you squirm just a bit too much.

Well, I'm not one of those guys. I swear! I have come to the conclusion that I am far too unfocused and thick to be one of those guys. I don't think I've ever said anything truly racist/sexist/malicious, but my myopic inability to read a room leads to my share of awkward moments. Long, drawn out, train crash like awkward moments.

For example, there's a a few Nepalese guys I work with, who are also studying at SCSU. Being me, these are the kinds of conversations I will have.

Me: So, Nepal, huh?

Perfectly nice Nepalese guy who is probably studying to be an engineer or pilot or something: Yep.

Me: So uh, if I needed to climb a mountain you could help me with that?

PFNGWIPSTBAEOPOS: Uh, sure....

Me: But if I wanted to keep a royal family alive, I would probably want to go elsewhere, huh?

PFNGWIPSTBAEOPOS: What?

Me: (covering face with hands) I don't know! I was just trying to talk about things I thought you would be interested in!

Fortunately, when you're big and goofy looking, people tend to be forgiving. In that sense, as far as being That Guy at work, I'm pretty much Kevin from The Office.

_ _ _

1 comment:

Maynard said...

Do new people often believe you are retarded, only to find out the truth, several months later?

About Me

My photo
Paralegal studies and a goldfish attention span are not a good mix.